Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Mission to the Sun

A friend of mine said he had an 'art thing' on that evening and I showed up and was surprised to find myself at a University lecture on Street art.

At one point they asked the audience to participate by creating a small peice of art based on a random phrase of their choosing: 'Into the Sunset.'

Here's a recreation of my doodle which was one of the prize-winners:


I decided to do something a little different and make it a space-cowboy literally traveling into the sun. After all Astronauts are the new Cowboy. Isn't that what they say on Star Trek? "Space. The Final Frontier."
So I drew a MIlt Gross style dog, riding a phallic rocket named 'Hi Ho Silver' into the eye of the sun ala  George Melies 'Trip to the Moon'


Jokes on them though, nobody knew I was a legitimate cartoonist. I cheated by using skill! Haha! Another daylight robbery!

2 comments:

  1. Been a while since I tried anything Milt Gross like but I don't wanna feel like I'm ripping off anyone.

    Harvey Kurtzman, Walt Kelly, Otto Messmer, Milt Gross and a couple of others for me are like go to cartoonists if I want to draw doodles in someone else's style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just drew it on the fly and the Milt Gross dog was the first that came to mind.

      Delete